September 18, 1939 – Lions Club Organizational Meeting was held at Simonini’s Restaurant. M. E. Affeld from Elgin helped organize the club. Twenty members were present. Meetings were held on the second and fourth Tuesdays at Simonini’s. Dr. Sculley was the club’s first president.
October 31, 1939 – Ed Benson organized the Halloween Parade and games at the school.
December 12, 1939 – Dr. Scully announced that a Charter Night would be held. Postponed until January.
December 22, 1939 – The Lions held a community dance at the school gymnasium. A party and dance were held.
January 16, 1940 – Algonquin Lions Club receives its charter. Crystal Lake sponsored.
February 3, 1940 – The Lions Club held a bingo party.
March 16, 1940 – The Lions sponsor a St. Patrick’s Day dance at the Congregational Church with round and square dances.
April 30, 1940 – An indoor picnic and basket social is held, with wives as guests for the club.
June 11, 1940 – Dr. J. C. Scully was re-elected as the Lions president.
June 25, 1940 – The Lions begins its sponsorship of the Boy Scouts for the next 28 years.
September 10, 1940 – The Lions resume meetings after a summer vacation.
September 24, 1940 – The Lions plan a Halloween party and parade for October 31 and sponsor a Minstrel Show for November 16.
October 7, 1940 – The Women’s Club and Algonquin Lions get permission to erect a shelter in the park.
October 31, 1940 – The Lions hold their second annual Halloween gathering. The parade was led by the grade school band (Washington School). Refreshments and prizes were donated by local businesses.
November 26, 1940 – The Lions Club holds a dinner meeting at St. Margaret’s Church and Principal Roland B. McCannon speaks on “How Far America Should Help England.”
December 21, 1940 – The Lions Club holds their second annual Christmas party for children in the public school gymnasium.